As I emptied the last few remaining coffee grounds from our coffee tin this morning, I decided that instead of throwing it in the recycle bin, I would recycle it a different way and have a go at altering it.
Just thought I’d include a couple of before photos – (I know, who doesn’t know what a coffee tin looks like) :)
After cleaning the inside with a few baby wipes, I was ready to go. I couldn’t clean it the conventional way as the sides of the tin weren’t really metal… I think they are cardboard or something that looks like tin but I know if definately wasn’t metal but anyway, on to the altering….
First off, I had to work out exactly what I was going to do with it apart from cover it with patterned paper. I wanted it to be based on 2 stamps from the Unity December 2011 Kit of the Month stamp set bought from Craft-A-Lot and since I knew I was altering it for my beautiful 16yr old daughter, I knew the main colours would be purple and yellow/lemon, 2 colours she loves. Next came the tough part (some would say not after rummaging through my craft drawers) – finding supplies in those colours which was easier than I thought as most of them I already had on my craft table – lazy me didn’t clean up after my last couple of crafting sessions.
The 2 stamps used from the December 2011 Unity KOTM stamp set are the sentiment and the heart which isn’t shown properly here, both were stamped using Whispers Archival Black ink. The first thing I did to the tin, was use 2 patterned papers from Kaisercraft and they were Buttercream from the Sugar Sugar collection and Lattice from the Garden Arabesque, both of which are old paper ranges but loved both the purples and the yellows/creams. I adhered the Buttercream to the base of the tin using Modge Podge and then I used a Cheery Lynn Die called Border Carnivale to diecut 6 x 8″ border pieces from the Lattice paper and adhered 2 of them around the top.
Next, which was quite daunting to me, was to stamp a border around the bottom of the tin. Not something I thought was going to be easy because of the shape but turned out ok. I used 1 of the stamps in the the Butterfly Garden – Impressions No.14 stamp set by Pink Paislee. I had to use a rolling technique because of the shape of the tin and there are a few parts that weren’t stamped perfectly but as they say ‘there is no wrong in art’. Again I used Whispers Archival Black ink because it gave parts of the stamped images a faded look but that could have been me not inking the stamp fully :) – either way, I love the end result. The purple ink sponged on the centre diecut is Dusty Concord distress ink.
Using the birdcage from the same Pink Paislee stamp set, I stamped a cage where the top border diecuts didn’t quite meet. I then punched some leaf stems using a Martha Stewart punch out of some Echo Park paper from the Victoria’s Garden 6×6 paper pad, adhered them to the join and then covered them with a few paper blooms from Kaisercraft. I then added a pretty purple Kaisercraft rhinestone to the cage to finish it off.
On some parts of the tin, I stamped a butterflies, again from the same Pink Paislee stamp set and then layered a Martha Stewart punched butterfly on top…
… then finished it with a little Kindyglitz Crystalina glitter glue. I did that to all the butterflies on the tin, including…
… all the Kaisercraft paper blooms.
I’ll finish with a few photos from different angles.
…and another view…
If you have any questions, don’t be shy, ask me :)
Thanks for visiting xx